AI Correlation

Welcome to the Oregon Cryonics forum
jordansparks
Site Admin

AI Correlation

Post by jordansparks »

The most likely revival scenario is digital rather than physical. This is also mostly likely to happen concurrently with the Great Upload, when all living humans are also uploading over a fairly short time period of less than a few decades. But why would a future society want to pay to upload underfunded brain preservations, let alone masses of very poor living humans? I think there will be a huge incentive in the form of AI Correlation.

Let me explain. After they revive my mind, I will be left with the same level of intelligence and memory recall as I currently have. That’s not great and we could do so much better. An AI could easily extract each historical memory from my mind and tag it with a specific GPS coordinate and date/time. For example, I remember riding a bicycle with a particular group of friends once as a child. I do remember the exact location, but the date and time are not attached to that memory. It’s going to require some correlation to properly date that event. This would be far too tedious for humans but very easy for AI. For this event, it might look at the specific bicycle I was riding and what date range I owned that bicycle. I also know the parking lot was empty, so that eliminates certain dates. The weather eliminates other dates, etc.

But here’s where it gets interesting. I remember at least one other specific individual in that group. If that person uploads and shares a carefully sanitized version of all their memories, then we can begin to have some correlation. That other individual wrecked his bike and probably even has a resulting scar. His AI can bracket the date of the event a lot tighter, and it can probably also add at least one more individual and a bit more detail to that shared event. That additional detail would very likely jog my memory and make it richer. In this manner a shared history can be built, and the more people who help, the richer it will be. What this means is that the millions of random people who I've interacted with over the years are all important to me because they can help rebuild my personal history.

I have incentive to revive others and I think it will be a very strong incentive. I think this will become immediately apparent once my AI has properly organized my memories and hooked them onto dates and times. I will be frustrated by missing details and wide brackets on many of the dates, and I will naturally seek more information. Some of the best correlation will obviously be documents, databases, images, and videos. But other minds will also provide rich correlation. And because of the way that humans are connected, this will quickly expand to include all of humanity. We will want to upload everyone for entirely selfish reasons.

In addition to enriching our personal histories, this will also deeply enhance our general historical knowledge. I enjoy my current ability to use google maps to walk around in nearly any city in the world. Imagine how much richer that could get over time, with the ability to move through space and time. My AI narrator could be telling me stories about what I’m seeing to help me understand the context. It would be kind of like a limitless personalized documentary. With some memory contributions, these reconstructions would be much more interesting.
MaximilianKohler

Re: AI Correlation

Post by MaximilianKohler »

Starman would like this, as it supports his desire to recruit the masses to cryonics. It's unfortunate how spread out the cryo community is over different email groups, social media, and forums, so discussions/ideas like this one reach a very small percentage of cryonicists. If we were more connected ideas like this one would have much more potential to motivate people to take collective action. Personally, I use the longecity and Oregon cryo forums. I strongly dislike Facebook & Reddit, and the email groups have severe problems. And I think most people who use those are too lazy to come here to the public forums. Unfortunate...
jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks »

This particular forum is designed so that anyone can peruse it years later. The discussions persist and are easy to find. Starman regularly reads this forum.
MaximilianKohler

Post by MaximilianKohler »

jordansparks wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:10 pm This particular forum is designed so that anyone can peruse it years later. The discussions persist and are easy to find.
Yep. That's why I prefer forums over the other options. However, people perusing this thread years later won't be of much help to what you posted today, since what you posted requires some urgent action to get more people signed up for cryonics. To benefit from the AI correlation you described we'd all need everyone we've ever met to be signed up for cryonics. That's obviously not happening any time soon and the only effort in that regard that I recall is the referral reward (forgot what they call it) Alcor started during their last president's tenure.
jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks »

I had never seen much need to recruit the masses. I guess I've changed my mind somewhat. But as the degree of separation increases, my incentive falls off sharply. I might start to reorganize my efforts around those close to me.