Fees

Welcome to the Oregon Cryonics forum
jordansparks
Site Admin

Fees

Post by jordansparks »

Our fees have been raised. This allows us to put the same level of funding into our Patient Care Fund as Alcor does into their PCT. But since we only store the brain, our overall fees are still able to be lower.
http://www.oregoncryo.com/services.html
We are now also recommending refrigeration for the low-cost chemical preservation patients. This refrigeration will cost extra.
sroboubi

Re: Fees

Post by sroboubi »

Your first link seems to be broken.
jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks »

Thanks. Both links were old. I edited the original message to just show the one current link.
h3rb

Post by h3rb »

It's good to see an organization trying to keep it accessible. I wrote a lengthy paper (unpublished, non-academic, purely speculative) about cryonics called "Brain in a Vat" as a speculative business proposal for a "Technology in Entrepreneurship" themed class at Carnegie Mellon's Tepper School of Business. Alcor's fees have increased dramatically since I first became interested in cryopreserving myself. When I first discovered Alcor in the late 1980s / early 1990s, neuro-cryopreservation (known as "head") was only $12000 and "whole body" was $20000. However, now that I'm getting closer to being "in the market" (nervous laugh), it's practically unaffordable. I've watched it more than double every few years. It felt like a slippery slope.

Alcor offers life insurance as a way to finance the preservation. Will Oregon Cryonics also be offering that sort of thing? How does someone who is "working poor" afford preservation? Many intellectuals are of this class, and I've always thought affordability of cryonics is a sad hurdle to force people to overcome. I know it has made some parts of my life more emotionally frantic as at the time I saw no way to finance it and felt trapped, forced to rot instead of the 'best contemporary science could offer' ... well. It's been a long journey since when I was Deutsch's age, discovering the technology in my early teens, and it's good to see some people of like mindedness. (Re: Vice doc)

I'm so happy to have found your organization, and I'll review the paperwork and contracts and be in touch over the phone at some point to discuss details.
jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks »

We hope that our cost of cryopreservation is low enough to be affordable. If not, we are continuing to work on less expensive options. Good perfusion will be a requirement for both standard cryopreservation and for any cheaper options. We still haven't demonstrated acceptable preservation quality with any of our techniques, which is why we are very much not in the mode of trying to attract members. I would also point out that neither Alcor nor CI have demonstrated acceptable preservation quality, either. It's really impossible for me ethically to try to sell something that has no evidence of working. If our main page seems a bit optimistic, it's only because I didn't know what I didn't know when I wrote it a few years ago. I'm a bit more pessimistic now about the quality of current techninques, and that will soon show on the website. Mother nature is not kind, and a poor preservation is as bad as none at all.
jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks »

Home page has now been updated to reflect that preservation quality is currently unvalidated and not very good for all cryonics providers. Once we have even just a little bit of evidence of decent preservation, we will be more interested in membership issues.