persufflation with helium or oxygen or nitric oxide or something else

Welcome to the Oregon Cryonics forum
ruslan

persufflation with helium or oxygen or nitric oxide or something else

Post by ruslan »

Jordan, can I get your opinion on this technology? Aubrey de Gray claimed that this(persufflation with helium ) could be used to preserve the body. But will it be possible to preserve the brain qualitatively?

"Transplantable hearts, kidneys, pancreases, and livers can be preserved hypothermically by replacing blood in blood vessels with cold gas rather than cold fluid.180 Arigos Biomedical, Inc. has used cold helium gas to cool a pig kidney down to −180°C without fracture, and the company believes that using 20 atmospheres of pressure could allow for 100 times faster cooling rates.181 Such rapid cooling rates could reduce CPA exposure time, thereby reducing toxicity provided damage due to cold shock and endothelial cell dehydration can be avoided."

the link has a more detailed description of the process.
https://patents.google.com/patent/WO2014008488A1

"Persufflation is the process of flowing a gas through the vasculature of an organ, rather than blood or some other fluid. Persufflation that used oxygen to support metabolism has had some success, but provides results no better than conventional organ preservation solutions and hypothermia. Persufflation with hydrogen sulfide or carbon monoxide to suppress mitochondrial respiration is currently being experimented with. At least one attempt has been made to use persufflation to cool organs for frozen storage, but this proved unsuccessful due to the inherent problems of frozen storage."

it is strange but I found no research on helium, maybe I was looking bad.mainly oxygen research.
jordansparks
Site Admin

Re: persufflation with helium or oxygen or nitric oxide or something else

Post by jordansparks »

Sure, that's possible in theory. But I also think it sounds absolutely crazy complicated for a real case. I also don't see any advantage compared to ASC. So you have an extremely complex procedure that hasn't even been demonstrated or perfected yet, and also has no advantage. No, thank you.